Friday, May 20, 2016

This is Only a “See you later” Until Our Next Adventure.


                Well, it is the end of the week. If I were to attempt to even begin to describe all the adventures we have had here and everything that we have learned, I would have to write a 1,000 page novel.
                  I will start with today. Mikayla and I took a tour of a coffee roaster. I have to say, after listening to Edwardo (the owner of the roaster) talk about the process of making a few pounds of coffee, I definitely have a new appreciation for going to Starbucks and ordering a cup of coffee. There is so much work that goes into it, from picking the beans of the leaves, to skinning them, to roasting them, and how many trees it takes. Of course I was drinking a sample of coffee at the time, and Guatemalan coffee is hands down the best I have ever had.
                  After the tour, we had lunch as usual, and prepared for our faith lessons. This lesson in particular was different, because we did not venture anywhere, this time the lesson was in the mission house. I feel that this made the lesson much more personal and real. The place that we have been staying at was opened to all these people waiting to hear the word of God, and it just proved to me more that you can truly woirship anywhere. The church is not a building with four walls and a steeple. The church is US. Our faith, our love, our words. Something Ryan said tonight during the devotion really stuck with me. He said that language barrier is not an issue here. The language of love is one that knows no traditional language such as Spanish or English, it is much more powerful than that. Today, I definitely saw that as I have all week. I know barely any spanish, but the way that these kids who have NO idea who I am will run up to me and hug me, or strangers here will smile and say Buenas Dias shows that God is so unbelievably powerful in this place, and I love it.
              Thinking about going home tomorrow almost breaks my heart. But I know I will be back. Believe me when I say that there is no way I could not return.
              Andy also has mentioned several times that we build relationships with people here in one day. Just one day, you meet wonderful people and make such strong connections with them. But, our time here is fleeting and we have to leave those wonderful people. However, we cannot measure impact (something else Ryan has said, of course). What we do, whether to us may seem small, makes a big difference to these people, because all they ask for is LOVE. To love and to be loved in return.
          I am coming home from this trip with a bigger heart, and a strong desire to help those who need it. God has restored my faith in his love and grace, and that is something that needs to be shared across the globe. I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations.” Psalm 57:9
          All in all, what I have learned in this trip is this: Love others unapologetically. In whatever way you show love, do it. You never know who may need it. Do not be afraid of rejection, because avoiding those people and closing yourself off makes you miss opportunities to love others who so desperately need love. Go forth in love, friends. -Ari

 “Let all that you do be done in love.   1 Corinthians 16:14

No comments:

Post a Comment