Monday, May 18, 2015

Monday Fun Day!

Hola Family & Friends!
 
Today was full of many eye opening and beautiful moments that we were able to share with the families and missionaries here in Guatemala! 
 
We were able to do so much today from meeting the wonderful members of Groundwork Guatemala that live here, visiting another missionary team dedicated to helping young men who have been homeless and at a disadvantage for being involved in the tough streets of the town, visiting downtown and then being able to visit families in their homes sharing the word of the Lord and their blessings/struggles.
 
 
It is a true joy to be able to meet individuals such as the young men that we were able to speak with today and learn where they came from and how much they have grown into the men they are today. Completely turning their lives around some of these boys come from abusive households, gangs, disadvantaged families and little to no support system. Being able to hear their happiness being apart of the missionary continuing their schooling and lives devoted to learning more about what they can in return do to change the lives around them and help others find God as well. Something special that I remember George saying today was, "The blind lead the blind." This is important in remembering that not everyone is fortunate enough in being able to live blessed lives as many of us do in the US. Having been able to be live in such fortunate living conditions we can tend to be blind to what is really important and we teach others to follow those thoughts. When we are able to learn what is important and what we need to value in our lives as I have here so far my second day in Guatemala, we can open the eyes of others and begin to share the knowledge, experiences and love that others can be lacking.
Remembering that God is always with us and that he has the power to change things we are able to begin to show that love through our emotions, actions, attitudes and our everyday habits.
 
With this I want to share with you all one of my favorite verses, "

                                                                    1 Corinthians 13:2-3
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
 
 
Going to our home visits today was also one of the many experiences that I hope we will all keep with us when we leave this trip. Seeing the love that the families had for one another, their devotated faith in God through their stuggles and the desire to keep learning more about their faith and education was such an inspiration and encouragement in moving forward with our misión and our own relationships with God. The living situations of these families were just as you could imagine and the support that we can bring to them only brings more light and joy to the little that they have. I am sure that today gave everyone who is experiencing Guatemala for the first time a new look on life and the the strong faith that God's people can have when they have very little. The imporantance of family was something I hope we all take away from today as well and that we learned to encourage one another everyday, thank our guardians for what they do, appreciate our blessings and learn on how we can continue to spread the word, teach and love all.


Melissa Villarreal
 
[Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you, "Declares the Lord," plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
 

 
Coming from Honduras to Guatemala, from one misión to another is an interesting experience. I love what Groundwork Guatemala does, how they spread Christ's Love to all those they come into contact with. It is much different than the misión work that I do in Honduras, but it is almost easier to see the work of Christ here than as a teacher. Hearing, seeing, and being the hands and feet of  Christ is always a life changing experience. Even after spending the last 5 months as a missionary spreading the Gospel, no matter how or where, is something that we as Christians are forever called to do. My short two days with the group has been a relaxing change from my daily life in Honduras, and as always, I have seen God work miracles through the team here, as well as the Guatemalan Missionaries. Although I go back tomorrow to my own mission with a heavy heart, saying goodbye to old friends, I am returning to a calling that God has placed on my heart, the same calling that He used to sent the team here, and the same calling that He uses in all of our lives to further His Kingdom.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  Romans 8:28
Brian Muldowney

No comments:

Post a Comment