Sunday, May 17, 2015

Take Me to Church

Buenos Dias!

...were the words we were greeted with as we started the day off with church. After a wonderful breakfast with Ginny, Kevin and the team, we were driven to the Guatemalan church that some of the missionaries here attend. We were greeted with open arms, literally people were hugging us, coming up to us and speaking with us. It is so nice to see that the people here were so comfortable (even though some of the team may not have been) and welcoming to us.

The church service was an experience. The service was long and seemingly out of order. But that is not what we all took away from it. This church service was one of the most incredible experiences I have ever had. The service included singing songs, praying, and listening to the message. Actually, singing is an understatement. The people were doing everything from singing, clapping, dancing, and smiling to crying, hugging and shaking. I was completely in awe because the faith of these people is just that, it is awesome. It is nothing less than complete and wholehearted love for God. The people worshiped with every part of their being. I think I am speaking for everyone when I say that the people, the church and the ministry is amazing and I am so excited to be here and to have this opportunity.

The sermon that was spoken was based off of Psalm 119:33-36, which states

"Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end. Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart. Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it. Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain."

The leader of this message made it clear the verbs used are all action words; they are a parallel for God. God is not static, He is not still. God is in action, working through us. What an applicable message for us all this week as we work and serve the people of Guatemala. I look forward to seeing God and the team in action this week.

Sonja Sorensen

No comments:

Post a Comment